Suspect in Atlanta Child Murders case speaks out
ATLANTA (FOX 5 Atlanta) - Wayne Williams and his supporters are speaking for the first time since Atlanta police announced a re-examination of all of the evidence in the historic Atlanta Child Murders case.
Speaking at the steps of Atlanta City Hall Monday morning, the members of the foundation “The Wayne Williams Freedom Project” and their private investigator say they believe this new examination could help exonerate Williams and that they've been working on the case for the last 10 months.
“I just hope that not only will some answers come forth as far as the suspects and other persons that are responsible for these terrible crimes, but I also hope that we can get to the bottom of the social conditions that led to this type of apathy in Atlanta, which continues today," Williams' letter said.
Williams thanks Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, who had previously announced Atlanta Police and other law enforcement agencies to re-examine evidence collected during the cases that terrorized the community during the late 1970s and early 1980s.
MORE: Mayor asks for re-examination of evidence collected in Atlanta Child Murders case
While Wayne Williams has served a life sentence since 1981 after his conviction by a Fulton County jury for the murders of two adults, he has never been tried for the rest of the cases.
The detectives Williams hired, Martinelli and Associates, said that they were interested in talking to the mayor about the case and will pass on any information to the GBI.
Officials are asking anyone who would like to offer information in any case related to the Missing and Murdered Children cases to call 404-546-2603.
RELATED: Phone line set up for Atlanta Child Murders case information