Wild Mushrooms “à la Grecque”
Chef Pano Karatassos
Modern Greek Cooking
• 3 tablespoons canola oil
• 7 ounces baby oyster mushrooms, sliced
• Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper
• 6 garlic cloves, crushed
• 6 small thyme sprigs
• 7 ounces baby shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced
• ¼ cup dry white wine
• 10 ounces (300 g) chanterelle mushrooms, sliced
• 2 tablespoons finely diced carrot
• 2 tablespoons finely diced leek, white parts only
• 3 tablespoons finely diced shallot
• 2 tablespoons finely diced peeled, seeded tomato
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon Banyuls vinegar (see Notes) or sherry vinegar
• Finely sliced chives, for garnish, optional
• In a medium skillet, warm 1 tablespoon of the canola oil. Add the oyster mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium heat, undisturbed, until lightly browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Stir the mushrooms and cook, stirring often and reducing the heat as needed to avoid scorching, until lightly browned all over, about 5 minutes more. Add 2 garlic cloves and 2 thyme sprigs and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to a medium bowl.
• In the same skillet, warm 1 tablespoon of the canola oil. Add the shiitake and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 2 garlic cloves, 2 thyme sprigs, and 2 tablespoons of the wine. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the skillet is dry, about 1 minute. Transfer to the bowl with the oyster mushrooms.
• In the same skillet, warm the remaining 1 tablespoon of canola oil. Add the chanterelles and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 garlic cloves, 2 thyme sprigs, and 2 tablespoons of wine. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the skillet is dry, about 1 minute. Transfer to the bowl with the other mushrooms and refrigerate until cool.
• In a small saucepan of boiling water, cook the carrot for 1 minute. Add the leek and cook until both vegetables are crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain the vegetables in a fine sieve, rinse in cold water, and drain again.
• Remove the garlic and thyme from the mushrooms and discard. Add the carrot, leek, shallot, tomato, olive oil, and vinegar to the mushrooms and toss to coat; taste for seasoning. Transfer to a platter or serving bowls, garnish with chives, if desired, and serve.