Man claims e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket, suffers 2nd degree burns

Image 1 of 2

WARNING: Graphic content

PHOENIX -- A man is giving up vaping after a horrific experience. The battery belonging to his e-cigarette exploded in his pocket, started a fire and burned his body.

He spent many hours at the Arizona Burn Center for treatment. Most of the top portion of his left leg suffered second degree burns.

"This has been by far the most painful experience ever," said Shiloh Inostroza.

September 5th was a typical day at work for Inostroza. That was until he says a spare battery in his pocket for his e-cigarette exploded.

"I was walking behind the counter to go help my boss with something and I had fire coming out of my pants," he said. "It was like the sound of a flare. That's exactly what it sounded like was a flare... I didn't know what to do, you know, freaked out a little bit. Just started hitting my pants just thinking it was going to go out."  

Inostroza went straight to the burn unit for treatment. 

The fire burned through his pants, singed his hair and caused second degree burns.

"It was probably a good, a little over 60 seconds that it was actually in my pocket on fire and it did quite a bit of damage afterwards." 

Inostroza says the burns are finally starting to heal, but they will mostly likely always remain. He says because of the incident, for him, e-cigs are now a thing of the past.

"After that experience, I would rather be safe than sorry, especially that I've got two little ones I have to watch out for. If I don't feel safe around it, I wouldn't want them to be around it." 

Inostroza has been looking for an attorney to possibly take legal action, but he says because of the lack of evidence since the battery is burned, he's having trouble finding someone to represent him.