Family wants answers after GA Tech student killed in police shooting

Image 1 of 20

The family of a Georgia Tech student who died after an officer-involved shooting spoke out Monday morning, along with their attorney. 

App users: View full article here


Scott "Scout" Schultz, 21, died early Sunday after a Georgia Tech Police officer shot Schultz outside a dormitory on West Campus, according to authorities. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation was asked to look into the shooting.

"Shultz did make the 911 call to Georgia Tech Police, essentially describing someone that matched his description," said Nelly Miles, Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

According to the GBI, Georgia Tech officers responded to a 911 call about an armed person on Eighth Street at 11:17 p.m. Schultz, who police said had a knife, allegedly continued to advance on officers after authorities gave multiple verbal commands. One officer fired at Schultz, who died after being transported to Grady Memorial Hospital.

“Additionally there have been three suicide notes that have been recovered, located in his dormitory room. We've also been able to determine that no firearms were recovered at the scene. And that there was a multipurpose tool containing a knife that was also recovered at the scene,” said Miles.

“The same type of multipurpose tool that had been labeled a knife is what scout had,” said attorney L. Chris Stewart.

Schultz's parents were joined by their attorney, L. Chris Stewart, and spoke to the media Monday morning.

"Scout should not have been shot," Stewart said.

App users: Watch news conference here


At the news conference, Stewart said Schultz had a multipurpose tool, not a knife which was originally reported by police. 

"There is no doubt that Scout will be dearly missed," Mr. Schultz said. "Frankly, I'm surprised the officers didn't know Scout."

Schultz's parents said they want answers and want to know why it was necessary to open fire. 

"Why did you kill my son?" Mr. Schultz said. 

Schultz was a fourth-year computer engineering major from Lilburn, according to Georgia Tech officials. Schultz's parents said the student received a Zell Miller scholarship out of high school, which paid for Schultz's college tuition. 

Georgia Tech issued the following statement on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.:

"The Georgia Tech community was notified Sunday morning of the tragic death of Scout Schultz, fourth-year computer engineering major from Lilburn, Georgia. Schultz died Sunday, Sept. 17, as a result of an incident in the West Campus residential community. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating the incident and reviewing the circumstances surrounding the death."

Friends dropped off flowers and left heartfelt messages at the scene of the shooting on Sunday afternoon. 

"Your impact at GT will never be forgotten," one message read. 

Schultz was the President of the Pride Alliance at Georgia Tech. 


According to an attorney representing the family, Schultz identified as non-binary and intersex and used the pronouns "them" and "they."

"We are all deeply saddened by what has occurred. They have been the driving force behind Pride Alliance for the past two years. They pushed us to do more events and a larger variety events, and we would not be the organization we are known as without their constant hard work and dedication. Their leadership allowed us to create change across campus and in the Atlanta community. Scout always reminded us to think critically about the intersection of identities and how a multitude of factors play into one's experience on Tech's campus and beyond," read a post on the Pride Alliance Facebook page.  "We love you Scout and we will continue to push for change."

Friends plan to hold a vigil on campus Monday evening. 

The GBI Medical Examiner’s Office in Decatur will conduct the autopsy on Schultz. No officers were injured during this incident. Once the GBI completes its investigation into the shooting, it will be turned over to the Fulton County District Attorney's Office for review.