2 dead in crash, special needs adults hospitalized

Image 1 of 8

Georgia State Patrol said two people were killed in a horrific crash Monday,  as a van carrying numerous people with special needs rear-ended a semi-truck. 

The ordeal happened Monday afternoon in the Union City area off Buffington Road and Royal South Parkway. GSP said the van driver crashed into and struck the semi's bumper. Two were declared dead at the scene, and the rest transported to Grady Memorial Hospital.

The van carried at least eight people-- the driver and all other passengers who were adults with special needs. The van departed from the InCommunity day center that Monday afternoon to take the adults home to their families.

Cyprian P. Sanders, 25, was killed on impact, his mother tells FOX 5. She describes the young man as loving, caring, friendly and loved learning and coloring. His mother said he lived with Sturge Weber syndrome, and hoped to donate his brain for research; the organ was too damaged by the crash, she said.

Tuesday night, two patients remained in the hospital with internal injuries and broken bones. 

"We want to get to the bottom of how the accident occurred," said mother Samantha Hudson, whose daughter suffered injuries from the ordeal. 

Georgia State Patrol is still investigating the crash. 

InCommunity released the following statement: 

"Our organization is experiencing tremendous heartache, as we have lost two members of our community as both our work family and as friends.  On the afternoon of July 15th, InCommunity experienced a tragic van accident that involved one of our staff members and 8 individuals that we support. 

"At this time we are working with the families of those involved in the accident.  We also want to let you know that we have extended our support to our staff and our individuals here at InCommunity.  We have made grief counseling available for our individuals and an employee assistance program (EAP) available to our staff for grief counseling as well.

"We are assessing the needs of our families and we are waiting for information from the police department assigned to this case.  We don't have any further information at this time and will move quickly once more information becomes available to us."