Good Day Atlanta viewer information January 10, 2020
ATLANTA - STARGAZING AT THE MOUNDS: Tonight will bring the first full moon of the year — and there’s no better place to take in that majestic sight than at one of Georgia’s most majestic historic sites, Indian Mounds. Click here to learn more.
BURGERS WITH BUCK: Click here for this week's Burgers with Buck at Lagarde American Eatery in Chamblee.
CHEF LORIOUS: Chef Lori Rogwers better known as "Chef Lorious" stopped by Good Day Atlanta with her take on shrimp and grits. WATCH HERE. Chef Lori Rogers is the author of the Calibama Cooking cookbook. For more information on Chef Lorious click here. For today's recipe see below.
Spicy Shrimp and Grits, Serves 6
- 1 pound bacon, diced
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup cooking sherry (or any red wine you enjoy)
- 1 cup shredded gouda cheese
- 2–3 cups grits, prepared according to package instructions
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crispy. When bacon is done, remove and set aside. Leave 3 tablespoons rendered fat in pan.
- While bacon is cooking, in a large bowl, coat shrimp with olive oil. Add chili powder, paprika, cayenne, and thyme and combine to fully coat shrimp with seasonings.
- Cook onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons bacon fat until soft. Add seasoned shrimp. Cook until shrimp is about 90 percent done, 4–6 minutes.
- Pour in cooking sherry and continue cooking on medium heat. Add bacon and continue cooking.
- Remove skillet from heat when shrimp are completely done (they will be white when finished).
- Stir shredded gouda cheese into prepared grits. Serve shrimp over grits.
DENTAL HEALTH IN 2020: Your first appearance is everything and that has a lot to do with your pearly whites, but it's not just about your smile...achieving healthy teeth takes a lifetime of care. So how does a person practice good oral hygiene? Dr. Hugh Flax stops by talk about the connection between your mouth, your body and your overall health. For more information on Dr. Hugh Flax or his book A Smile is Always in Style click here.
2020 HAIR TRENDS: Sharon Lawson visits Cherry Blow Dry Bar. For more information on this year's hair trends and styles at Cherry Blow Dry Bar click here. WATCH SEGMENT
WINTER HOUSEPLANTS: Watch segment here. For more information on Pike Nurseries click here.
How to fix your filter in 2020 with Praise's KD Bowe. For more information on KD Bowe or Praise 102.5 click here.
Pet of the day from Best Friends Animal Society: For more information on how to adopt today's pet of the day click here.