DUNWOODY, Ga. - Two Atlanta Gas Light workers were injured responding to a gas leak at a Dunwoody apartment complex on Monday.
It happened at an apartment building located on Dunwoody Crossing. DeKalb County firefighters said crews were already on the scene after receiving a call a construction crew hit a gas line. A spark ignited the leaking gas leading to the explosion.
"We were out there, on-scene with them with charged hose lines ready. And we were able to go into action quickly," said DeKalb County Fire Rescue spokesperson Deon Bentley.
construction crew struck a gas line, causing it to rupture. At some point, the gas leak caught fire, leading to a massive explosion.
SKYFOX 5 flew over the scene around 5 p.m. and saw one of the buildings completely engulfed in flames with patches of fire around it in the brush.
Witnesses said they heard a loud boom and felt the ground shake like an earthquake.
"It was like a rumble and I was talking to people up there and they felt it too," one witness told FOX 5.
"We were just in the apartment hanging out and we heard a huge bang and the entire apartment shook," a resident said.
Atlanta Gas Light turned off the natural gas service to around 425 customers as a safety precaution. As of Tuesday afternoon, the company says crews have begun restoring service. That act will require a representative to enter homes to conduct a safety check, with all employees involved wearing a uniform, PPE, and having photo identification.
"They’re lucky to be alive," said Bentley.
The Red Cross said 10 families were displaced by the fire. Volunteers will be helping those 25 people with temporary lodging, food, clothing, personal items, health services and emotional support.
Firefighters said the pregnant woman was not injured in the blaze.
One of the Atlanta Gas Light employees has been released from the hospital. The other remains hospitalized for treatment, officials said.
Download the FOX 5 Atlanta app for breaking news and weather alerts.