Grandmother Wyona Hayes got quite the scare Thursday afternoon, after a tree went through her home and through part of the kitchen where she was cooking.
"I was in the kitchen cooking, and all of a sudden we heard a boom," said Hayes.
Hayes said she was frying chicken when 911 operators told her family to get out of the house on Margaret Place NW in Atlanta.
"I turned the stove off and we ran out the back door," she said.
The tree fell from a neighboring lot with a vacant home and impaled parts of the kitchen, dining room and living room. She said she'll live with her daughter for now, as the damage is unsafe to be around.
"I'm thankful. I can get another house. I can't get another life," she said.