LARGO, Md. - Fire officials say a hazmat investigation was conducted at an office building in Largo after there was concern workers were exposed to an unknown white powdery substance.
EMS personnel evaluated three people who were in an office used by Maryland State Sen. Anthony Muse Tuesday evening after a female volunteer taking out the trash felt that she inhaled something toxic. The three workers reported feeling sickened with throat irritation.
The office building, located in the 1400 block of Mercantile Lane, was evacuated. There were a total of five people in the building, officials said.
A hazmat team was sent in to inspect and test items in a trash can and the trash bag that reportedly caused the three victims to feel ill, according to Prince George’s County Fire and EMS spokesperson Mark Brady.
However, there was nothing suspicious found, including any white powder, and all three workers were determined to be fine and did not have to be taken to the hospital, Brady said.
“We certainly appreciate when people see something, they say something,” said Brady. “She felt something may have occurred and she called 911 to report it and we came out to respond. It is certainly something we do not mind doing. An encouragement again to everybody, especially in this day of age that we are in, if you see something, say something. Call 911.”
The scene was cleared late Tuesday night.
This incident comes one day after more than a dozen suspicious packages with explosive materials were sent to several federal government agencies and military installations around the D.C. area. A 43-year-old Seattle-area man was arrested for sending the packages.
In February, 11 people were sickened after an envelope containing an unknown substance was opened inside a building at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall in Virginia.
Nearly two weeks ago, 16 employees were evaluated at the D.C. Department of Corrections after being exposed to a substance in a package that was received in the mailroom. The substance was first thought to be fentanyl, but fire officials later determined it was synthetic cannabinoid.