Man injured after verbal dispute leads to southwest Atlanta shooting

Published August 22, 2026 7:51 PM EDT

A late-night verbal dispute escalated to gunfire in the Perkerson neighborhood, leaving a 36-year-old man hospitalized, police said.

What we know:

Atlanta police officers responded around 11:32 p.m. on Friday to reports of a person who had been shot in the 2300 block of Metropolitan Parkway SW.

Officers learned the 36-year-old man was taken to Grady Hospital in a private vehicle.

Police said the man is currently stable.

Authorities said the shooting stemmed from a verbal dispute that turned violent, ending in gunfire between the victim and a known individual. 

The investigation is ongoing. 

What we don't know:

Police have not identified the victim or named the known suspect.

The Source: The information in this story came from a press release from the Atlanta Police Department. 

SW AtlantaCrime and Public SafetyNewsAtlanta Police Department