Deputies: Woman left child alone at home to go drinking with boyfriend

A Forsyth County woman is out on bond after deputies say she left her young child at home alone to go drinking with her boyfriend.

The Forsyth County Sheriff's Office said 26-year-old Kelly May Algar and her boyfriend were taken to a hospital after passing out at a restaurant and bar.

At the hospital, Algar said she had to get home to check on her child.

When deputies responded to her north Forsyth home, they say they found the 3-year-old home alone.

Deputies believe the child was alone for hours in the house while Algar and her boyfriend were out.

“This child to our knowledge had been in this house for not just a few minutes but for a few hours in this house alone,” said Corporal Doug Rainwater with the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office.

He said Algar had left earlier with a male friend, ending up at the Good Ol’ Days Bar and Grill In Cumming about five miles from her home.

Customer Timothy Copley said he saw Algar and her friend outside the bar after closing hours.

“He passed out on the bench and 911 was called and they had to, he received Narcane to revive and all that,” said Copley.

Investigators said Algar was also taken to Northside Hospital Forsyth in an extremely intoxicated state.

While at the hospital Algar became very agitated.

“This female stated that she needed to get back home because her 3-year-old child was home alone,” said Corporal Rainwater.

He said one of the hospital staff called 911, prompting deputies to go to Algar's home where they found the little boy alone, unharmed.

“He could have walked out in traffic, he could have fell [sic] and hit his little head, on a table busted his head, bled to death and nobody’s there to help him,” said Copley.

Algar faces charges of felony cruelty to children in the first degree and misdemeanor reckless conduct.

Her neighbors, parents themselves, say there are no second choices in parenting.

“If you’re to have children then you're old enough to make the right decisions and put your children first. And I hope this will open up some other people’s eyes that it’s called parenting for a reason,” said Robert Winguard.

Corporal Rainwater said Algar was released on a bond of more than $20,000, and the man who was with Algar is still recovering.

The child is now in custody of Georgia's Division of Family and Children Services.