3 law enforcement officers shot in North Houston while serving warrant

Image 1 of 3

A Harris County sheriff''s deputy and two Attorney General investigators were shot while serving a warrant in North Houston Tuesday.

After a standoff that lasted several hours, a suspect in the shooting was found dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Harris County Sheriff's Office said.

Five agents with the Attorney General's Office and two investigators with the Harris County Sheriff's Office were serving a felony warrant in the 5000 block of Harwick around 12:15 p.m. According to the sheriff's office, upon making entry to the residence, the suspect engaged the officers with gunfire and the officers returned fire. Two Attorney General investigators and a Harris County Sheriff's Office investigator were struck by gunfire.

The injured officers were transported to Ben Taub Hospital. The HCSO deputy was shot in the right hand. One AG officer was shot in the cheek, torso and ankle. The second AG agent was shot in the leg. The sheriff's office says one of the officers was taken into surgery. Thankfully, authorities say that officers' injuries are not life-threatening.

An HCSO motorcycle deputy who was assisting with traffic control for the ambulance leaving the scene was involved in a major accident. He sustained a few injuries, but is said to be conscious and stable.

The suspect, identified as Daniel Trevino, was barricaded inside the home for several hours. 

SWAT teams from the the sheriff's office and the Houston Police Department responded to the scene and established communication with the suspect. The sheriff's office says the suspect indicated several times that he would come out. Authorities say at one time during the standoff, the suspect fired at officers three times. 

Around 6:15 p.m., officers found the suspect dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, the sheriff's office says.


The Texas Attorney General's Office identified the two injured investigators from their office as Captain Wes Hensley and Sergeant Mark Rychen from the Fugitive Apprehension Unit.

Sheriff Ed Gonzalez says the deputy who was shot remains in the hospital Tuesday night in good spirits, surrounded by friends and family. Family identified the deputy as James Robert Smejkal III.

The sheriff says the deputy who was involved in the crash has been released from the hospital. That deputy has not been identified.

Sheriff Gonzalez says one of the Attorney General investigators has been released from the hospital and one remains in the hospital in good spirits.

The Texas Attorney General's Office released this statement: “This afternoon, Captain Wes Hensley and Sergeant Mark Rychen from the Fugitive Apprehension Unit in my office were shot and wounded while serving an arrest warrant on a suspect in Northeast Harris County. A deputy from the Harris County Sheriff’s Department was also shot. These brave and courageous law enforcement officers were fulfilling their call to duty to apprehend a known criminal with a dangerous past. Thankfully, all of the injured law enforcement officers appear to be recovering well this evening. I’m asking all Texans tonight to pray for those recovering, their families, and all the men and women in law enforcement who face unpredictable dangers each day to keep Texans safe.”

Texas Governor Greg Abbott tweeted, "Please join us in praying for the officers who were shot in the line of duty."