Local Butcher Helps Carve Up A Delicious Holiday Weekend :
Memorial Day Weekend is more than just the unofficial start of summer – it’s also the start of outdoor grilling season! But before you fire yours up and start preparing the family feast, a local butcher wants to make sure you’ve got what you need to make it the best yet.
Rusty Bowers is the owner of Pine Street Market in Avondale Estates, which is a retail store specializing in handmade artisan meats including sausage, bacon, and more. Bowers butchers all items in-house, and locally sources pork for his products. Along with selling meat products, Bowers and his team host classes for those interested in butchering and cooking, including a Whole Hog class on June 4, during which students will learn to break down a whole pig and cut their own pork chops.
Good Day Atlanta’s Paul Milliken spent some time at Pine Street Market with Rusty, getting some tips on choosing the right cuts of meat and grilling them up for the perfect Memorial Day cookout.
Burgers with Buck Memorial Day cookout with Hard Rock Cafe Atlanta: Buck Lanford kicks off Memorial Day with Hard Rock Cafe Atlanta on the FOX 5 Weather Deck with nothing else but burgers of course. Chef
Kyle Davis stopped by with helpful burger grilling tips and a side "Cowboy Bean," recipe. For more on Hard Rock Cafe Atlanta click here. For today's recipe see below.
Hard Rock’s Cowboy Beans
3 slices raw pork bacon
1 tbsp. vinegar cider apple
1 tbsp. mustard Dijon
1 tbsp. molasses
¼ cup sliced yellow onions
¼ cup diced green bell peppers
¼ cup canned Navy beans (don’t drain)
¼ cup BBQ sauce
* Yields four servings (1 cup)
- In a cast iron skillet over medium low heat, add half of the diced bacon. Cook until fat is rendered.
- Add the onions, peppers and salt. Cook until tender and beginning to brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Stir with a kitchen spoon until all ingredients are incorporated. Remove from heat. Evenly sprinkle the raw bacon pieces over the top of bean mixture. Be sure to remove the beans from heat immediately following.
- Place beans into an oven set to 325 degrees. Cook for 45 minutes or until beans have thickened and are caramelized on top.
- Remove beans from oven – allow to cool and then serve alongside English Breakfast Burger. Enjoy!
Pet of the day from the Humane Society of Cobb County. For more information on today's pet or how you can adopt a pet click here.