ATLANTA (FOX 5 Atlanta) - Jefferson Dairy Queen owner creates "Miracles" : The FOX 5 Storm Team may be calling for plenty of heat in the extended forecast, but today there's a 100% chance of Blizzards even with a high temperature in the 90s! Today is Miracle Treat Day, an annual fundraising event at which a dollar or more from every Blizzard Treat sold at participating Dairy Queen locations is donated to local Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. And no DQ location participates quite like the one owned by David Gillespie, Jr. in Jefferson. As you've probably seen on Good Day Atlanta in the past, Gillespie and his family go way above and beyond to make Miracle Treat Day a success, raising thousands of dollars each year through special events including Blizzard Treat eating competitions featuring local high school students and faculty members, police officers, and firefighters. Gillespie and his DQ staff donate all of their Miracle Treat Day proceeds to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta a total which came to nearly $14,000 in 2017. This year's Miracle Treat Day will be especially memorable, as Children's Miracle Network Hospitals co-founder Joseph G. Lake decided to spend it in Jefferson, getting a first-hand look at how the Gillespie family and local community have turned the annual event into such a sweet celebration. And, of course, the Good Day feature team also spent the morning in Jefferson, helping celebrate this special day and (of course) doing our part by eating a few Blizzards!
Cooks & Soldiers Chef Matthew Ridgway stops by with viewer recipe to celebrate Fetes De Bayonne, festival, taking place on July 28, 2019. For more information on Cooks & Soldiers click here. For today's Chistorra in a blanket recipe see below.
Chistorra in a Blanket
Chef Matthew Ridgway
Cooks & Soldiers
• 6 oz of raw chistorra sausage (breakfast sausage) cut into six pieces
• 6 pieces of croissant dough or laminated dough cut into triangles.
o Found in the freezer section of the grocery store
• 1 tbsp. fleur de sel
• 1 cup maple syrup
• ½ cup sherry vinegar
• Combine the maple syrup and sherry vinegar overheat, reduce by half and set aside
• Pre heat oven 350 degrees
• Take a piece of chistorra sausage and roll each piece into the laminated dough with the largest piece facing towards you. Roll the sausage like a pin wheel.
• Let rest and proof until double the size.
• Place roll on a metal rack and bake until fully cooked and brown – 12-15 minutes.
• Brush maple glaze on top of the cooked pastry and sprinkle with fleur de sel
Hidden Treasures with antique expert Paul Brown. From a UGA ticket offering more than just memories, to a gift from a mother-in-law that turned out to be a fortune, Paul Brown stops by Good Day Atlanta to take a look at "hidden treasures" that were sent in from FOX 5 viewers. For more information on Paul Brown or his upcoming auction at Gallery 63 on August 10, 2019 click here.