CHATTAHOOCHEE HILLS, Ga. (FOX 5 Atlanta) - Authorities have identified a man who was killed after a propane tank exploded at a home in Chattahoochee Hills Tuesday evening.
According to the Fulton County Medical Examiner, the victim has been identified as 83-year-old Charles William Miller, of Chattahoochee Hills. He was the only person in the home and no other injuries have been reported.
It happened at a home in the 4500 block of Cochran Mill Road, according to Chattahoochee Hills city officials. The 911 call came in around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.
First responders said when they arrived the house was already blown up.
Police blocked off the entire block of Cochran Mill Road so emergency officials could work to access the scene.
The boom was so loud it could be heard and felt more than 15 miles away.
People across the western and southern portion of metro Atlanta started reporting hearing a loud, rattling boom around 9:40 p.m. Tuesday. Calls into the FOX 5 Newsroom suggest residents as far away as Carrollton to Atlanta and as far south as Newnan. About a half dozen counties reported hearing the loud boom and many felt their homes shake.
Officials said the victim, "Chuck," lived at the home. A cat was also found dead.
Firefighters believe the explosion originated from a liquid propane vapor that had pooled into the basement of the home and had ignited. Authorities aren't sure what caused it liquid propane to leak.