McDonald's employee accused of putting peroxide-based cleaner in deputy's drink
IOLA, Kansas (FOX 13) - A trip to a McDonald's was nearly hazardous for a deputy after his drink was tampered with, the sheriff's office said.
An employee at the fast food chain in Kansas faces an aggravated battery charge on a law enforcement officer. Deputies with the Allen County Sheriff's Office said the suspect, Trevor Hockaday, allegedly put a peroxide-based cleaner into the deputy's drink.
A co-worker of Hockaday said the 22-year-old added "four little squirts" of the cleaner to the beverage. Investigators said the deputy picked up food from the McDonald's drive-thru while Hockaday was working.
The deputy then experienced flu-like symptoms a short time after finishing the beverage.
“He thought he caught the bug, but we found out two weeks later when an employee came forward and told the police department,” Allen County Sheriff Bryan Murphy said to the Wichita Eagle. “In today’s day and age, not only us in law enforcement but citizens as a whole, there’s enough going on out there that we have to worry about ... now my guys are cautious about going through that drive through. We all chose this line of work to protect and serve. Now my guys have that concern of is my food safe.”
Glen Nichols, the owner of the McDonald's, released the following statement to KOAM:
Hockaday could face more than 20 years in jail if convicted.