Man dies in fire at a northwest Atlanta boarding house

Image 1 of 6

Atlanta fire crews are investigating a deadly blaze in northwest Atlanta. The fire broke out early Friday morning at a boarding house on Neal Street.

Residents woke to smoke and flames and evacuated through the back door. Several of them were in wheelchairs.



Some residents told FOX 5 when they went back to try and get their roommate out of the middle bedroom, they couldn't get to him in time. Investigators said the victim was in his 50's.

Investigators told FOX 5 the fire appears to be accidental.

The flames were extinguished quickly by responding crews.