FAIRBURN, Ga. - An urgent outreach effort to help families in need took place Saturday morning. Several organizations gathered for a drive thru-food giveaway.
"On a monthly basis before coronavirus we were serving 600 families in our communities," says Margie Boone, the founder of Margie's House, a local nonprofit which has a food pantry. "Of course, the numbers have grown every week and we've gone to weekly distribution as opposed to monthly distribution."
The effort was targeted to metro-area union workers who are feeling the effects of a the work stoppage that followed the state's shelter-in-place order.
The Labor of Love food giveaway helped more than 300 families.
Learn more about Margie's House and its ongoing efforts by visiting its website.
Best prevention measures:
• Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least twenty seconds.
• If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Stay home when you are sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
RELATED: CoronavirusNOW.com, FOX launches national hub for COVID-19 news and updates.