ROME, Ga. - The Floyd County School System announced that the police have arrested 10 people on charges of stealing funds.
Police said three of those arrested were former employees of the school system after a year-long investigation. Police reports suggest the theft had been taking place over the last decade.
The Catoosa Valley News reported the following people were arrested:
- Derry Richardson, 41, a former maintenance director.
- Lisa Michelle Richardson, 45, wife of Derry Richardson.
- Jimmy Richardson, 72, Derry Richardson’s father.
- Dwayne Lee Richardson, 49, Derry Richardson’s brother.
- Robert Mitchell Anderson, 49.
- Russell David Burkhalter, 59.
- Samuel Max Tucker, 64.
- Harry Anthony Bailey, 69.
- Robert Chad Watson, 39.
- William Greg McCary, 56.
All are being charged with violation of the Georgia RICO act, theft by taking government property and a violation of Georgia’s records and reports of currency transaction laws.
Superintendent Dr. John Jackson in a statement on the system’s website read in part:
“For the school system, we are recovering from the trauma that has been inflicted on the system and the community through this ordeal. New procedures and processes are in place to improve protection of funds entrusted to educate children and those new procedures are working.”
Floyd County Schools said they will continue to cooperate in the investigation.
Those arrested are expected to their first appearances Friday morning at 9 a.m.