Atlanta's ‘Peace Monument' damaged during Charlottesville rally

Image 1 of 15

Hundreds of protesters took to the streets of Atlanta Sunday night to rally against the violence taking place in Charlottesville, Virginia. The biggest rally and march began at Woodruff Park and ended in Piedmont Park, where several protesters damaged the city's Peace Monument. 

App users: View full article here

The monument is now missing its olive branch after a few anti-white supremacist protesters climbed on it, spray painted it, wrapped it in a chain and then pulled part of it down. The monument, which symbolizes efforts to reunite the North and South after the Civil War, shows a southern soldier laying down his gun. 

No arrests were made, but one protester was slightly injured when a portion of the Peace Monument fell. 

App users: Watch video here

The rally included a memorial for Heather Heyer, the woman who was killed is the Charlottesville protest. Many signs were made for the rally condemning the White Nationalist rally in Virginia on Saturday.

Sunday marked the second night of protests and marches in Atlanta. 

MORE: Civil rights organizations hold march in Atlanta in response to Charlottesville rally

There was also a second gathering at the Decatur Square for a candlelight vigil. Hundreds showed up to the peaceful demonstration, mostly wearing all white clothing. Organizers told FOX 5 that its purpose was to "Stand in solidarity, support and a peaceful silence with Charlottesville."

In Charlottesville, a car rammed into a crowd of protesters and a state police helicopter crashed into the woods Saturday as tension boiled over at a white supremacist rally. The violent day left three dead, dozens injured and the usually quiet college town a bloodied symbol of the nation's roiling racial and political divisions.

The chaos erupted around what is believed to be the largest group of white nationalists to come together in a decade -- including neo-Nazis, skinheads, members of the Ku Klux Klan -- who descended on the city to "take America back" by rallying against plans to remove a Confederate statue. Hundreds came to protest against the racism. There were street brawls and violent clashes; the governor declared a state of emergency, police in riot gear ordered people out and helicopters circled overhead.

Peaceful protesters were marching downtown, carrying signs that read "black lives matter" and "love." A silver Dodge Challenger suddenly came barreling through "a sea of people" and smashed into another car, said Matt Korbon, a 22-year-old University of Virginia student.

The impact hurled people into the air and blew off their shoes. Heather Heyer, 32, was killed as she crossed the street.

"It was a wave of people flying at me," said Sam Becker, 24, sitting in the emergency room to be treated for leg and hand injuries.

Those left standing scattered, screaming and running for safety. Video caught the car reversing, hitting more people, its windshield splintered from the collision and bumper dragging on the pavement. Medics carried the injured, bloodied and crying, away from a police tank rolled down the street.

The driver, James Alex Fields Jr., a 20-year-old who recently moved to Ohio from where he grew up in Kentucky, was charged with second-degree murder and other counts. Field's mother, Samantha Bloom, told The Associated Press on Saturday night that she knew her son was attending a rally in Virginia but didn't know it was a white supremacist rally.

The Associated Press contributed to this article.