Apartment fire sends woman to hospital

Image 1 of 3

A pregnant woman was rushed to the hospital, after she and six others had to be evacuated from an apartment building because of a fire.

The fire started around 6:30 a.m. Friday at the Woodbridge complex on Habitat Circle in DeKalb County. Firefighters arrived to see smoke pouring out of the 3rd floor unit. But they discovered the blaze started on the first floor. While some firefighters put out the blaze, others evacuated a total of 7 people. Two of those rescued were babies. Another was a pregnant woman. Paramedics rushed her to the hospital to be checked, but she is expected to be ok.

FOX 5 talked with Lataya Jefferson. She lives on the first floor where the fire broke out. According to Jefferson, she was heating a bottle for her baby daughter Paris. Jefferson left the bottle in what she thought was water, and went to check on the 6-month-old. When she returned, the bottle had exploded and the kitchen was on fire. Jefferson grabbed Paris and ran out of the burning apartment. She now thinks she accidentally put the bottle in a pot of oil.

Firefighters say Jefferson's unit is a total loss. The 2 upstairs floors, where the evacuations took place, suffered smoke damage. Investigators call the blaze an accident.