Active shooter killed outside Dallas federal building

Image 1 of 10

Shooting suspect at Earle Cabell Federal Building (Courtesy Lane Brown)

A man who fired shots at the Earle Cabell Federal Building in Downtown Dallas is dead.

FBI officials said officers from the Federal Protective Service shot and killed 22-year-old Brian Isaack Clyde after he opened fire on the federal building on Commerce Street. No one else was hurt.

"At this time we have no information indicating that there are other shooters or other threats to the community," said FBI Special Agent in Charge Matt DeSarno.

Witnesses who saw the shooting around 8:40 a.m. Monday described seeing a man dressed in what appeared to be tactical gear firing a rifle just outside the building.

“I seen the gentleman coming out from the back of McDonald’s shooting at random. It sounded like he had an assault rifle. As I proceeded coming from another block, I started running when I found out pretty much what’s going on. And I tried to warn people and tell them there’s a guy down there shooting,” said Harmon Turner. “When I did look back that’s how I knew he was heavily armed. He had an assault rifle. His face was kinda masked up. And when I seen that I was just in shock. I ran.”

READ MORE: What we know about Dallas federal building gunman Brian Clyde

“I heard what appeared to be three gunshots and I was sitting having coffee, watching TV. I jumped up with my dog and cracked the window open from the fourth floor and I saw the gunman standing at the entrance to the courthouse and he was blowing the front entrance out. There were two guards that popped out of the garage and then he then turned the gun and fired into the garage. I don’t think he hit anybody and then he just kind of took off,” said Alan Wyatt.

Video shared by FOX 4 viewers Lane Brown and Tim Brown show the man firing at the front of the building and then running into a nearby parking lot. He falls to the ground behind a vehicle after being shot. 

The federal building was evacuated and streets around the area were shut down because law enforcement officials feared there could be a bomb in the suspect's car, which was parked near Griffin and Jackson streets.

The bomb squad used a robot to investigate but did not find anything explosive inside the car. Officers set off a controlled detonation as a precaution.

FBI official said the area around the building remains an active crime scene. They asked people to avoid the area.

Some buildings and apartments in the area were also evacuated. Nearby El Centro College was placed on lockdown.

Agent DeSarno encouraged anyone with information about the shooting to call 1-800-CALL-FBI. Witnesses who captured the shooting on video can submit it at