ATLANTA - Getting stuck with a pricey car repair is never fun, but some vehicles cost way more to repair than others. If you're in the market for a new or used vehicle listen up.
The website, Repairpal.com recently came out with their list of the most expensive vehicles to have repaired. They looked at the average cost of several common auto repairs for 40 popular vehicles from the year 2010. They looked at the cost of repairing the water pump, alternator, brake pads and routine oil changes. They broke down their list by compact, mid-size, SUV and luxury vehicles.
Top 20 Most Expensive Car Models to Repair
- Lincoln MKZ - [Luxury] ($2649)
- Audi A4 - [Luxury] ($2259)
- Lexus IS250 - [Luxury] ($2234)
- Volkswagen Jetta - [Compact] ($2114)
- Volkswagen Passat - [Mid-Size] ($2087)
- BMW 328i - [Luxury] ($1965)
- Mercedes Benz C300 - [Luxury] ($1960)
- Mitsubishi Lancer - [Compact] ($1931)
- Infiniti G37 - [Luxury] ($1725)
- Chevrolet Malibu - [Mid-Size] ($1633)
- Chevrolet Equinox - [SUV] ($1604)
- GMC Acadia - [SUV] ($1603)
- Volvo S80 - [Luxury] ($1600)
- Chrysler 300 - [Luxury] ($1578)
- Acura TL - [Luxury] ($1537)
- Nissan Murano - [SUV] ($1503)
- Honda Pilot - [SUV] ($1480)
- Toyota Forerunner - [SUV] ($1480)
- Kia Sportage - [SUV] ($1469)
- Kia Optima - [Mid-Size] ($1454)
We spoke with a local mechanic at Midtown Tire Toco Hill, who mostly agrees with the list. He says his shop sees a lot of German made vehicles, as well as Chrysler vehicles.
He says, keep in mind, most foreign made cars cost more to repair because their parts are also made overseas and must be shipped and stored here. He says that can add up to 5 to10 percent of an overage cost.
He said Mini Coopers and Jettas seem to consistently have expensive repairs at his shop. "We do see a repetitive pattern of the same automobiles. At certain times we may have three or more of the exact same vehicle in the shop, so it tells you maybe it is a pattern," says Kevin Pautsch, Manager, Midtown Tire Toco Hill. "The Jetta is a high maintenance vehicle and those parts are very pricy to buy, so when we do get them, on the average repair you're looking at between $1,200-1,500 for minimal things."
Top 20 Most Affordable Car Models to Repair
- Nissan Sentra - [Compact] ($931)
- Nissan Altima - [Mid-Size] ($986)
- Mazda CX-7 - [SUV] ($988)
- Mazda6 - [Mid-Size] ($1026)
- Ford Explorer - [SUV] ($1052)
- Honda Accord - [Mid-Size] ($1060)
- Ford Focus - [Compact] ($1064)
- Mazda3 - [Compact] ($1068)
- Hyundai Elantra - [Compact] ($1088)
- Ford Fusion - [Mid-Size] ($1093)
- Honda Civic - [Compact] ($1120)
- Hyundai Santa Fe - [SUV] ($1179)
- Hyundai Sonata - [Mid-Size] ($1188)
- Kia Forte - [Compact] ($1190)
- Subaru Impreza - [Compact] ($1191)
- Subaru Legacy - [Mid-Size] ($1213)
- Toyota Camry - [Compact] ($1244)
- Toyota Corolla - [Mid-Size] ($1323)
- Jeep Cherokee - [SUV] ($1406)
- Cadillac CTS - [Luxury] ($1429)
For the most part, a more expensive vehicle will typically mean a more expensive repair. Kevin also says you should generally plan to spend 10 percent of the car's value on repairs each year.