ATLANTA - Shrimp "in" Grits Recipe
· 1 cup stone ground grits (we use Logan Turnpike)
· 3 cups water
· 1/2 cup heavy cream
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 2 shallots, minced
· 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
· 1/4 lb shrimp (21/25) peeled and deveined shrimp, minced
· 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
· 2-3 tablespoons butter
· 1 cup all purpose flour seasoned with pinch of cayenne, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Bring water, cream and salt to a boil. Add grits and continue to whisk until first starch forms. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue stirring grits for another 10 minutes. Stir in shrimp, shallots and peppers. Continue to stir until grits are fully cooked (about another 10-15 minutes). Season with plenty of salt and pepper to taste and butter.
2. Remove grits from heat and pour into a lightly greased 8-inch square pan. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and chill 6 to 24 hours.
3. Using your hands or a scoop, roll grits into 1 1/2-inch balls.
4. In a bowl, lightly dredge grit balls in seasoned all purpose flour..
5. Pre-heat deep fryer to 350
6. Fry fritters in batches for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown on all sides. Season with more salt
7. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve warm.