ATLANTA (FOX 5 Atlanta) - The prospect of selling your home can be, at the least, intimidating.
Should you fix it up or sell it as is? Is that even legal? How do you get maximum exposure, and what about the internet? Not to mention, what is the best way to price your house, and how do you negotiate?
These questions and many others strike fear in the hearts of most homeowners, but real estate expert John Adams says, “Let not your heart be troubled!”
Adams has five secrets to make your home sell faster:
The National Association of Realtors has estimated that for each dollar you spend on making your home ready for the market, you may get more than four dollars back in selling price increase. Don’t be hard-headed.
1. CLEAN, DECLUTTER, DEPERSONALIZE
- Cleanliness is next to Godliness
- Get rid of excess everything
- No personal photos
2. MAXIMIZE CURB APPEAL
- Front door area must be inviting - 20 seconds
- Shrubs BELOW all windows
- Make yard beautiful
3. FOCUS ON KITCHEN & BATHS
- MUST be absolutely SPARKLINGLY CLEAN
- Empty countertops, bright lighting, big mirrors
- No dirty clothes, steamy showers, or diaper pails
4. LIGHTEN UP - BRIGHT & CHEERFUL
- Open all curtains and blinds to let the sunshine in
- Replace all bulbs with maximum safe wattage LED
- Paint every surface with light, neutral colors
5. AVOID THESE TURN-OFFS
- Pet toys, food, litter box, odors
- Medical equipment of any kind
- Laundry in any stage of cleaning
BOTTOM LINE: Failing to get your home ready to sell will likely cost you much more than the cost of doing what needs to be done, even though you may not think it needs to be done! Instead, get your house in tip-top shape and plan on a quick sale.