DULUTH, Ga. - Two officers from the Duluth Police Department are being hailed as heroes, after helping a woman and two dogs get safely out of a smoke-filled home.
A 911 call to dispatchers came in around 12:30 a.m. Monday on Summit Cove Drive. The woman, frightened, told dispatchers her townhome was filled with smoke and she had trouble breathing.
Firefighters said the woman went to sleep after closing the flue on the chimney and woke up to smoke.
"I can't get help... it's hard to breathe," the frantic woman told dispatchers on the 911 call recording.
Officer Julian Lee-Foon and St. Steve Walker heard the call on dispatch and went to the location, getting there before firefighters.
Body camera video from Officer Lee-Foon shows the incredible rescue.
"We're making entry, advise FD we need them right behind us, we have full smoke," Officer Lee-Foon said on the video.
After calling out for the woman, Officer Lee-Foon went to an upstairs bedroom and helped the woman and her two dogs get out of the home.
Both were okay.
The woman said she is grateful for the efforts of the officers to save her and her dogs' lives.
Gwinnett firefighters said precautions must be taken when using fireplaces and chimneys during the winter, and make sure all embers are put out before going to sleep or closing the flue.
Firefighters also said there were no working smoke detectors and installed working ones in the home.