Teen arrested in May South Fulton triple shooting

Image 1 of 2

South Fulton police have arrested a teenager in connection with a May shooting that killed two other teens and wounded a third, FOX 5 News has learned.

App users: View full article 

South Fulton Police Chief Keith Meadows confirmed the arrest Tuesday morning to FOX 5’s Aungelique Proctor.

Chief Meadows said members of the South Fulton Police Special Operations Division arrested 18-year-old Adrian Chappell and two other teens Monday night in the Three Lakes Subdivision.

South Fulton Police issued six warrants against Chappell for two counts of murders, one count of aggravated battery, and six counts of aggravated assault.

All three also had outstanding burglary warrants issued by the Fulton County Schools Police Department.

Chief Meadows identified the other suspects as 19-year-old Montavious Powell and an unidentified 16-year-old.

Police took Chappell and Powell to the Fulton County Jail, and the 16-year-old to the Fulton County Juvenile Detention Center.

At his first court appearance Tuesday, the presiding judge denied bond for Chappell.

At a Tuesday afternoon news conference, Chief Meadows said his investigators will try to determine if Powell and the juvenile were also involved in the shootings.

The early morning shootings took place on Tuesday, May 29th in the 2900 block of Two Lakes Circle.

Killed in the shootings were 19-year-old Tyree Johnson of College Park and 16-year-old Grant Payton of Riverdale. The shootings also wounded an unidentified 15-year-old.

Neighbors said they heard between 40 and 50 rounds going off. The bullets struck an SUV and shattered a car's window. It also damaged several of the homes in the neighborhood.

Two days later, South Fulton Police released a dramatic video that showed one of the suspects firing what police believed was a semi-automatic weapon at the victims.

Neighbors at the scene said they woke up to gunfire erupting and described the scene and smoky and chaotic. They said the 15-year-old victim was outside and asked them for help.

"I come outside I heard somebody screaming somebody got shot in the face," one woman, who did not wish to give her name fearing for her safety, told FOX 5's Deidra Dukes.

"I know the man that got shot here. He didn't deserve that. He was a good guy. He was at the wrong place at the wrong time," the neighbor said explaining she who knew one of the victims.

The woman and her children were asleep in bed, her husband sitting in the garage when shots were heard.

"Just heard shooting, 40 to 50 rounds, going off like it was right next to you," said the man, who also did not want to be named in this story.

The bullets punctured the couple's SUV and shattered a car window. Flying bullets also damaged a neighbor's vehicle

"Whoever it was they was on feet. Ain't nobody seen no car. We just heard shooting," said the man.

In response to the arrest, Tyree Johnson's mother, Yvonne Minefe sent FOX 5's Aungelique Proctor the following statement: