ATLANTA (FOX 5 Atlanta) - In the midst of calls for investigations into allegations against singer R. Kelly, the Chicago-based attorney for the musician broke his silence Wednesday evening defending his client.
Steve Greenberg spoke to FOX 5 Atlanta by phone in response to the recent reports of investigations following a controversial mini-series which aired last week on the Lifetime network about the singer-songwriter.
The docu-series “Surviving R. Kelly” accuses the singer of having sex with underage girls, being physically abusive, and running a sex cult.
"Mr. Kelly has done nothing. That's why no one has called the police. That's why there's no evidence of him doing anything wrong," Greenberg told FOX 5’s Jaclyn Schultz.
TMZ.com reports prosecutors in Fulton County, Georgia have been reaching out to several people who participated in the program including Asante McGee, who allegedly escaped from R. Kelly’s home.
Atlanta attorney Gerald Griggs represents the family of 23-year-old Joycelyn Savage, whose family was profiled in the series.
Griggs told FOX 5 News that in the past few days, very senior members of the D.A.'s office have contacted Griggs regarding witness information in the case.
There has been no official word from the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office.
"We're hoping the D.A. from Chicago and the D.A. from Georgia will step up and do their job," said father Timothy Savage.
The Savage family has now set up a hotline along with Griggs for witnesses and victims to come forward at 678-744-3185.
Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx announced Tuesday afternoon during a press conference they are asking anyone who may be a victim or has information about a possible victim connected to the allegations against the singer in Illinois to come forward. Foxx said she found the claims in docu-series disturbing.
Foxx said her office has been in contact with two families who say they were victims. Both are over the age of 18.
She set up a special hotline for victims in Cook County to call at (773) 674-6492.
Meanwhile, new accusations have surfaced, but this time made against R. Kelly's manager. A Henry County police report states Timothy Savage told an officer on Jan. 3 that R. Kelly’s manager Don Russell had texted him saying it would be best for him and his family if the documentary didn't air.
The report states Russell called Savage while the officer was there, and Savage put the phone on speaker. Russell accused Savage of lying to Lifetime and that if he continued to support the series, Russell and Kelly would be forced to release information that would show Savage was a liar.
Police said detectives are investigating the claims in the report.
According to police, there is a warrant against R. Kelly's former manager for terroristic threats stemming from a May 2018 phone call. Mr. Henry James Mason, investigators said in a police report, threatened to harm and kill members of the Savage family in retaliation for attempting to contact daughter Joycelyn Savage.
The Savage family said they have been unable to reach Joycelyn Savage for some time after associating with the singer.
"I believe a hundred percent that me and my family are in danger," Timothy Savage said after he reported the alleged threats to police. "We will not be quiet and we will not stop until our daughter comes home," he said.
You don't have a PDF plugin, but you can download the PDF file.
The Associated Press and TMZ.com contributed to this report