Former Atlanta police officer charged with murder released from jail

Image 1 of 8

A former Atlanta police officer accused of murder was released from the Fulton County jail early Friday morning.

FOX 5's Marc Teichner was there as James Burns walked out of the building before 5 a.m. Burns' lawyers posted a $240,000 bond. 

App users: watch video of Burns leaving jail here 

On June 22, Burns shot and killed Deravis Caine Rogers, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. 

The shooting happened in the 2100 block of Monroe Drive. Burns was called to the Monroe Place apartment complex to look for a car break-in suspect. The GBI said Rogers posed no threat to Burns when the former officer opened fire on him as he drove out of the complex. 

Investigators said Burns shot the 22-year-old in the head. Medics took him to Grady Memorial Hospital, where he later died. 

Atlanta Police quickly fired Burns not long after he was charged with felony murder

“We determined right away that the shooting was not something the department could stand behind," Sergeant Warren Pickard told FOX 5's Deidra Dukes.

Burns’ attorney Lance LoRusso said he had planned to appeal his firing. In his statement, attorney LoRusso said he understands the Georgia Bureau of Investigation will complete its investigation into the shooting in the next 30 to 45 days.

On Thursday, Rogers' family announced they were suing Burns, the city of Atlanta and Police Chief George Turner. Lawyers for the family claimed there is a system-wide culture with the department that fosters excessive force among officers. Those lawyers also called Burns a "ticking time bomb."  

SEE RELATED: Wrongful death lawsuit against former Atlanta police officer 

Burns turned himself into authorities and reported to the Fulton County jail last Saturday morning. He was being held without bond at the Gwinnett County jail for his own safety, but was processed and released from the Fulton County jail.

Burns was picked from jail by an unidentified woman Friday morning. He did not speak to reporters when he left.