Deputies: Person of interest in 2 homicides dead after chase, shootout

Image 1 of 16

Deputies in Clayton County said early Monday evening they encountered the suspect believed to be connected to at least one active homicide investigation following a chase. The Clayton County Sheriff's Office confirmed the suspect is dead.

Donnie Wayne Hall, 50, was wanted in connection to two homicides Monday morning. The first was in the 900 block of Steele Drive in Hampton. Henry County Police said they believe the homicide may be connected to a second homicide Monday morning that happened on Carl Parker Road.


Police had been searching for Hall all day. They believed he was driving a white 2006 E-250 Ford van with the Georgia tag ATP2548 or a white 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 with the tag PKT5377.

It was one of these two vehicles which was spotted at a gas station on Tara Blvd. around 5:30 p.m. Clayton County deputies confirmed Jonesboro police officers were involved in an exchange of gunfire with the man deputies said was the person Henry County was searching for in connection to the murders.

"The vehicle fled from the officers [and] made a big circle initially, coming back to almost where they started at Fayetteville Rd and Tara Blvd," Chief Cliff Kelker with Jonesboro Police described. "Once they got back to this location they attempted to pit the vehicle but the suspect already began shooting at them out of the window."


Another chase then ensued, which led to a neighborhood near Stockbridge Road and Sunnydale Lane -- just as 13-year-old Christopher McCombs walked home from school.

"I'm crossing the street, and there's a guy in a white truck who speeds around the corner," McCombs recalled. "He did almost hit me."


Notably, the Clayton County Sheriff's Office called Donnie Hall a murder suspect, but the Henry County Police Department, the investigating agency in both murders, isn't ready to go that far. They're still referring to Hall as a person of interest. They told FOX 5's Emilie Ikeda they'll provide more information in the morning.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation was asked to investigate the officer-involved shooting.