6-Year-Old Georgia Boy Battling a Rare Amoebic Infection Dies
ATLANTA - The 6-year-old Georgia boy who was battling a serious form of a rare amoebic infection has passed away.
Leland Shoemake was receiving treatment since last week at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta after becoming infected with an amoeba called balamuthia mandrillaris. His mother told FOX 5 News that he got it from playing in the dirt.
Family and friends made the announce Friday on the Facebook page “Prayers for Leland”. The wrote:
"Today sweet Leland went to be with the Lord. He fought so hard, but ultimately the sickness was too much for his body to handle. The family is heartbroken and filled with sorrow, and we respectfully ask that you allow them time to grieve. Please continue to pray for the them."
No word on services for the young boy.