Dad Charged with Murder of 10-Week-Old's Death

Image 1 of 17

Kelvin Odom (Courtesy: Gwinnett County Jail)

Police have now charged a Lawrenceville father with the murder of his newborn son.

According to the Gwinnett County Police Department, officers were called out to an apartment complex last Wednesday around 4:30 a.m. in response to a 10-week-old child not breathing. Gwinnett County Fire also arrived on scene.

Upon arrival, first responders found the baby breathing, crying and said he appeared normal. The father, Kelvin Odom, was told the child could be transported to the hospital, but he declined the offer. Police said the child was then left with his father, while Odom’s wife was at work.

The baby’s mom arrived home about three hours after the incident occurred and, according to police, noticed the infant had breathing problems and “altered color.” Investigators said Odom and his wife drove him to the hospital, but stopped on the way and called 911. They were met by Gwinnett County Fire officials who then took the child to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta. Police said at the hospital they learned the baby had a fractured skull and closed head trauma.

Investigators said the baby boy died at the hospital shortly before 1 p.m. on Sunday.

In addition to the felony murder charges, Odom has been charged with cruelty to children.

"The autopsy was performed Tuesday, but was still somewhat inconclusive so we are still waiting on the cause and manner of death. Once we know that, we can determine if there will be additional charges against Mr. Odom," Cpl. Deon Washington told FOX 5's Portia Bruner.

According to the police report, after Odom was confronted about his son's skull fractures, he told a member of his family the infant fell from the couch after he placed the baby there to sleep. Detectives are trying to determine if that story lines up with the findings from the Gwinnett County Medical Examiner.

Investigators said the Division of Family and Children Services is actively involved in the investigation. There were a total of five children living at the home when the September 2 accident occurred.