ATLANTA (FOX 5 Atlanta) - She's a 12-year-old from Atlanta and her passion for cooking has landed her a spot as a the top ten contestant on the hit FOX show "MasterChef Junior."
Georgia's own Ivy stops by Good Day Atlanta with a preview on tonight's episode, plus she shares a paella recipe for viewers to try at home.
For more information on "MasterChef Junior" which airs on FOX 5 tonight at 8PM click here.
Ivy's Paella Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 2-4 pieces of garlic minced or diced
- Finely chopped oregano
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons finely minced fresh chives
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup of clam juice
- 1/2 cup tomato puree or Rome tomatoes chopped
- Pinch of sffron
- 1 small jalapeño diced to taste for hotness or spice
- 2 cups cooked Arborio or other short-grain rice
- 12 mussels, washed
- 8 whole shrimp
- 1 filet of salmon or any other light fluffy fish cut in cubes.
- Some chorizo to taste
In a medium size pot cook the rice by following the directions on the back of the bag or box.
In another medium sauce pan, add the olive oil. When the pot is hot, then add the chopped onions, chopped red bell peppers, jalapeños, cook until fragrant, then add garlic, clam juice, bay leaves, oregano, saffron, salt , and pepper.
Let that boil for about five minutes and add the tomatoes, let simmer.
Add the shrimp, salmon, chorizo and mussels. Let that simmer till fully cooked for about three minutes.
Lastly plate your paella, and garnish with chives.