Used fireworks thrown in trash can almost torch house

- Dunwoody Police said a common mistake families make while disposing of fireworks almost cost one family their home.

Officers recorded video of DeKalb firefighters responding to a car fire on Hidden Branches Drive, the night of July 3. The family, police said, had disposed of used fireworks in their trash can in their driveway, which then caught fire; the trash can fire spread to the car and basketball hoop.

Firefighters tackled the blaze, which flared dangerously close to their home, and put it out quickly.

"Fireworks contain black powder. Black powder can appear to be out, but once it sits a little while, it can catch back on fire," said Sgt. Robert Parsons.

Dunwoody Police and the National Council on Fireworks Safety offer the following tips to safely dispose of your fireworks:

  • Make sure a hose, water source and a bucket are always nearby.
  • Soak the used fireworks in a bucket, overnight.
  • Dispose of soaked fireworks in a double-wrapped plastic bag.
  • Place the discarded fireworks in a trash bin away from a home or building.
  • Make sure the trash is completely empty of any other flammable materials.
  • Try to dispose of the trash bag of fireworks into a metal trash bin.

READ ON: Virginia man shows off patriotism with American flag lawn

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes advertiser stories