Man dies in an overnight Clayton County house fire

- An early morning house fire in Clayton County left one person dead and left four others homeless early Thursday morning.

The fatal fire happened at a two-story duplex on the 400 block of Greenwillow Way around 2:40 a.m. Thursday. Glenn Allen, a spokesperson for the Georgia Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens office, said the fire has been ruled accidental.

It claimed the life of 29-year-old Detrazious Siemons, according to Allen. A woman and Siemons' three children were also in the home during the fire, but were able to escape. Siemons' body was found in a bedroom of the apartment. 

"My investigators determined that the fire originated on a stove in the kitchen of the duplex," Hudgens said. "The fire was the result of unattended cooking." 

The home was left heavily damaged. Investigators found no evidence of a working smoke detector in the home.

This is the 91st fire fatality in Georgia this year. Of the 70 fatal fires in 2017, investigators have only found working smoke detectors in three of those fires. 

Remember to change the batteries in your smoke detectors this weekend with the end of daylight savings.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes advertiser stories