NORCROSS, Ga. - Fire crews were on scene of a duplex fire in Norcross that left two families displaced on the first day of the new year.
Captain Tommy Rutledge with Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency tells FOX 5 the fire happened shortly after midnight at the house on McPherson Lane. He says two families were outside playing with fireworks when they reported flames shooting from inside the home. Investigators are looking into whether the fireworks had anything to do with the fire but have not determined a cause yet.
Rutledge adds three adults suffered minor smoke inhalation but are expected to be okay. He also says there was a total of eight people displaced by the fire, including children. Two other people were visiting one of the families for New Year celebrations at the time of the incident, Rutledge mentions.
The Red Cross is assisting both families affected by the fire.