Fire at Extended Stay caused by candle on pizza box

- A fire early Sunday morning at an Extended Stay caused damage to multiple rooms, and firefighters say it was all caused by a burning candle left on top of a pizza box.

Firefighters responded to the fire around 3:30 a.m. at the WTL Extended Stay on Oakbrook Parkway in Norcross. Officials say the fire was in a guest room on the second floor.

Authorities arrived to people evacuating the building, and quickly extinguished the fire and cleared the smoke from the hallway.

The fire was contained to one room and caused extensive damage to the contents of the room. The smoke also caused residual damage two the two adjoining rooms, according to officials.

The Gwinnett County Department of Fire and Emergency Services says the man staying in the room discovered the fire after smelling the smoke.

Guests staying at the hotel were allowed back to their rooms around 5:15 a.m.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes advertiser stories