ATLANTA - Toys 'R' Us Inc. plans to close about 180 stores in the United States, including in metro Atlanta, as the retailer tries to recover from bankruptcy proceedings.
Tuesday, Chairman and Chief Executive David Brandon said, in a letter to customers posted online, the company expects the majority of the stores will close in the middle of April.
The Georgia stores on the closure list include:
- Albany 2601 Dawson Rd. GA
- Alpharetta 6380 No. Point Parkway GA
- Conyers 8160 Mall Parkway GA
- Douglasville 6875 Douglas Boulevard GA
- Dunwoody 1155 Mt. Vernon Hwy GA
- Fayetteville 132 Pavilion Parkway GA
- Newnan 221 Newnan Crossing Bypass GA
- Smyrna 2955 Cobb Parkway GA
The determination on whether to close all 182 stores will depend on the outcome of negotiations with landlords for more-favorable lease terms and rent reductions at certain outlets, according to a motion filed in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
On its website, Toys 'R' Us said the list of stores that could be shut, which is included in the motion, is subject to change pending court approval.