Police make arrest in Underground Atlanta shooting

- Atlanta Police made an arrest in the quadruple shooting at the Masquerade at Underground Atlanta.

Sunday night, four people were shot, two of them died. Wednesday, police arrested 23-year-old Jonathan Bautista. Investigators said the shooting appears to have been sparked by an argument.

"It appears it was a confrontation that went bad and he made some bad decisions to pull a weapon and shoot folks who he had a confrontation with," said Deputy Chief Darryl Tolleson.

Monday, Atlanta Police released video and photos of two people they considered persons of interest. Police said almost immediately tips started coming in, leading them to Bautista.

"Everyone was outraged by this, and tips started coming in from the public and we were able to ID him quickly," said Deputy Chief Tolleson.

Frailin Ynoa said his younger brother, Ewell, and friend Giovan Diaz, died in the shooting.

"Good kids, following their dreams, working on their music, they got their life cut short," said Ynoa.  

Ynoa said he and his family cried when they heard about the arrest. In a text to FOX 5 NEWS, he wrote: "I feel a bit more relieved, but it's just the beginning and I hope justice keeps doing right for my brother and friend and all the families that are going through the same pain and suffering we are."

The Masquerade was back open Wednesday night. Despite the deadly gunfire just days earlier, Kristian Holcomb said even though she was a little nervous about going to the venue, she couldn't resist coming to see her favorite artist.

"I thought security would be good, I thought they'd be taking good measures especially since it's just a couple of days after this happened," said Holcomb.

Sunday a little after 9:30 p.m., the night took a dark turn inside of the “Hell” portion of the club during a rap concert. Investigators said between the second and third acts, a couple of patrons got rowdy and went on to the stage. This caused another person at the show to get angry, setting off an argument. Investigators said the gunman drew a pistol and shot the guys who had climbed on to the stage. Police said he also fired towards the ground, hitting two innocent bystanders in the ankle and foot.


After the shooting took place, the gunman, victims, and other patrons all left the crowded club. The men who had climbed on the stage collapsed on the stairs heading outside. One of them died at the scene, the other passed away a Grady Memorial Hospital. Paramedics also rushed the two injured bystanders to the hospital. As of midday Monday, they were in stable condition.

Los Angeles based rapper Cousin Stizz was headlining the show. On Twitter, he said that he was completely heartbroken by the shooting. His statement continued, "I've always called by shows family reunions because they're never anything but fun, safe, good vibes and positivity.  I'm in shock and at a loss of words for the senseless violence."

The Atlanta Police Department homicide squad is working the case and authorities are continuing the investigation.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes advertiser stories