ATLANTA - Comedian and radio host Rickey Smiley talks family, food, and comedy with Good Day Atlanta's Sharon Lawson as he teaches her how to cook one of his favorite Thanksgiving dishes, collard greens.
For more on today's collard greens or the jalapeno macaroni and cheese recipes see below. For more information "Dish Nation" click here.
Southern Collard Greens
- 4 lbs collard greens cleaned and cut
- 2 large red peppers
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cups chicken broth/2 tbs Chk Bouillon
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large jalapeno pepper sliced
- 2-3 tbsp of white distilled vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp white sugar
- Turkey Neck Bones
DIRECTIONS: Set pot on medium heat. Melt butter in pot add bouillon, sauté onions, peppers, garlic, salt, pepper and jalapeños in butter, continue stirring. Once ingredients are sautéed add 1 cup of chicken broth and sit neck bones in liquid, top with greens. Let simmer for at least 2 hours, every 30 mins stir and add sugar and vinegar as you go. Season to taste.
Jalapeño Five Cheese Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup mild cheddar
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup jalapeño jack
- 1/2 cup Gouda
- 1 1/2 stick butter
- Cheddar cheese sauce
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Chicken stock (as needed)
- Flour (as needed)
- 1tbs oil
- Bread crumbs
- Finely chopped parsley
- Boil macaroni 7-9 mins or until al dente, drain and set to the side.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt 8 TB of the butter, add enough flour to make a soft paste, add heavy cream and stir until flour is smoothed out to a roux. Combine cheese sauce, and cheeses. Season sauce with salt, pepper.
- Transfer to an oiled baking dish, top with cheese. Bake 30 mins.
- Add breadcrumb topping (melted butter (2tbs) pulverized Cheetos (1/3 cup) and breadcrumbs (11/2 cup) mix ingredients, top macaroni put back in oven until topping is golden brown, about 10 mins. Lightly top with parsley.