Reward increased to $5,000 in Old Fourth Ward beating

- Friends of the man severely beaten last month in the Old Fourth Ward hope new surveillance images and a new reward amount will help put the men responsible behind bars.

The Atlanta Police Department has released new video of the three suspects from the early morning of April 22. According to investigators, Mark Calub and two friends were waiting for a ride share service along Edgewood Avenue when three men walked up and started beating them.

APP USERS: TAP HERE TO WATCH THE STORY

Cameras near Howell Street and Edgewood Avenue captured three of the men. Police pointed out they believe one of the men was wearing a jersey with the number 34 on the back and a baseball cap turned backward. Investigators believe they left the area in a dark-colored Nissan Armada.

"The attack just came out of nowhere," said one victim, who did not want to be identified. "It wasn't robbery, it was just--they were out there just to hurt people for fun."

Calub suffered the most severe injuries and Atlanta Police said he remained in a coma, though friends said he has shown signs of improvement.

"Slowly, slowly, but it's going to be a long road to recovery," said the other victim, who visit Calub at Grady Memorial Hospital.

Calub was visiting Atlanta from California and those close to him have set up a YouCaring page to help his family with travel and medical expenses.

Friends have also established a Facebook page to share information about the case.

Anyone with information on this case is asked to call the Atlanta Police Department at 404-546-4236 or Atlanta Crime Stoppers at 404.577.TIPS.

RELATED: Police release video after man was attacked in Old Fourth Ward

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes advertiser stories