ATLANTA - An extremely dangerous situation in northwest Atlanta Monday after a gas leak poured natural gas into the sewer system.
The gas leak happened on Castlewood Drive near Dover Road and forced several residents out of their homes as crews worked well into the evening to repair the leak.
“I left to go pick up my daughter and came back and there was a big caution sign up,” said Ashley Hall who was evacuated from her home.
Firefighters said they went door-to-door, checking each home for occupants and hazards. Power in the area was cut to help prevent any ignition of the natural gas.
About 20 homes were evacuated. Emergency crews escorted homeowners to their homes to get overnight bags, other residents decided to wait it out.
“I got two twin six-year-olds and I guess were going to find something to do for a few hours,” said Tom Moorehead who recently moved into the neighborhood.
Once crews found the source of the leak, they spent hours repairing it. Residents were allowed back into their homes hours later while workers checked the houses in the affected area to make sure it was safe.
A spokesperson with Southern Company Gas said a contractor hit a four-inch line. The spokesperson said per company policy, they would not identify who the contractor is.
Crews wrapped up their work at about 9:30 p.m. Monday night.