DAWSONVILLE, Ga. - A Dawsonville middle schooler is back home recovering after a snake bite sent her to intensive care for four days.
Cecillia Gonzalez, 12, was playing near a creek in her friend Peyton Gillian's yard Saturday when she said she tripped over some tree roots and landed within striking distance of a timber rattlesnake.
"It's kinda blurry from there, but then, all I remember is them helping me get up there to the house," said Gonzalez.
Gillian said she immediately notified an adult, who called 911.
"When she sat down, her foot started--like, it was kinda getting swollen and she started throwing up really bad and she just kind [of] looked out of it," Gillian recalled.
Emergency responders went to work, identifying which area hospital had anti-venom ready to go. They airlifted Gonzalez to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta where doctors kept a close eye on her swelling and other symptoms.
Gonzalez said she is grateful to everyone who has sent her well-wishes.
"Thanks for everybody for praying for me and keeping me in your thoughts and prayers," Gonzalez said.
She also has a message for other children who play outside.
"Watch where you're going and be careful," warned Gonzalez.