NEW YORK - Fox News Channel host Bill O'Reilly will not return to the cable network, 21st Century Fox announced Wednesday afternoon. O'Reilly had been on vacation for several days, as controversy built surrounding accusations that he harassed women.
In a statement Wednesday, 21st Century Fox, the parent company of FOX News, said "After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O'Reilly have agreed that Bill O'Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel".
O'Reilly joined Fox News in 1996. He hosted "The O'Reilly Factor" weeknights at 8 p.m. The program has averaged an audience of nearly 4 million viewers nightly so far this year. Fox News Channel announced late Wednesday that "Tucker Carlson Tonight" will move into the 8 p.m. time period.
O'Reilly has denied any wrongdoing in his dealings with women. In a statement Wednesday, he said "I will always look back on my time at Fox with great pride in the unprecedented success we achieved and with my deepest gratitude to all my dedicated viewers. I wish only the best for Fox News Channel."
21st Century Fox is also the parent company of FOX 5 Atlanta.