DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. - Managers at the Centers for Disease Control issued new guidelines for handling dangerous organisms after a worker became sick from handling a salmonella sample.
The unidentified employee was ill for several days, but is feeling fine now and is back to work.
She had handled a frozen sample and was mechanically scraping the top of a tube when authorities suspect a tiny chunk of the ice broke off. She may have ingested a small amount of salmonella.
A safety manager issued a directive telling the employees to first thaw the test tube and then take a drop from the sample to work on.