GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. - Ten apartments units were heavily damaged after a fire started at a Norcross apartment complex on Saturday, according to the Gwinnett County Fire Department.
The fire started at Las Palmas Apartments around 3:30pm at an apartment building near 1700 Seasons Parkway. First responders say no one was injured, and all people in the building were evacuated, including a wheelchair-bound person.
Investigators believe the fire was accidental, and ten of the fifteen apartment units in the building were heavily damaged, according to officials. The fire was put out around 4:55pm. Officials say it may have been sparked by an electrical source.
Occupants were home in the unit where the fire started and reportedly discovered the porch on fire after being alerted by a neighbor, according to officials. They tried to douse the flames with a bucket of water, but were unsuccessful.
Firefighters say the flames broke through the roof. First responders fought the blaze from inside, but eventually had to back out of the building to continue fighting from the outside.
The American Red Cross and Apartment Management were assisting approximately 25-30 occupants displaced from the building.