ATLANTA - Karaoke gets metal makeover at Atlanta tavern: All great rock stars have to start somewhere so it might as well be a place where you can take on some of the most famous songs in history while backed by an accomplished live band, right? Atlanta's Dark Horse Tavern, located in Virginia-Highland, has all that plus the crowd of screaming fans during Metalsome Karaoke on Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights from 10:30 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. Doors to the tavern's 10 High performance venue open at 9:00 p.m. each night, and rock stars-in-training can sign up to sing classics including AC/DC's "Highway To Hell," Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart," and Motley Crue's "Girls, Girls, Girls" with a live band. There's no cover charge to watch the show or perform for the crowd, and don't worry those singers whose tastes run closer to classic and contemporary R&B have their chance during Soul Karaoke, which takes place at the venue on Wednesday nights. Good Day Atlanta's Paul Milliken has long considered himself a rock star, and spent the morning jamming with the band at Dark Horse Tavern.
The Flying Biscuit: Brad Rubenstein stops by to demonstrate how to make the restaurant's famus "Lovecakes." For more on the Flying Biscuit click here. See below for recipe.
Love Cake Recipe
Black Bean Cakes
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ lb. fresh diced yellow onions
- 1-1/2 tsp. cumin, ground
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1-1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 10 oz. can black beans
- ¼ cup Maseca corn flour
- 4 oz. diced yellow onion
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- 1 Serrano pepper, stemmed
- 1- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 1-10 oz. can tomatillos
- 1 Tbsp. of Fetta cheese
- 1 Tbsp. of sour cream
- Red Onion
Black Bean Cakes
- Sautee onions, garlic, cumin, and kosher salt in olive oil blend until translucent in large saucepan.
- Place drained black beans in a container to mix. Using a hand mixer, mash beans to a thick paste. Add onion mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Add Maseca at the very end and mix until combined.
- Ball up a portion of the mixture to the size of a golf ball. Place 2 pieces of wax paper on the top and bottom and mash the ball into a flat pancake 3/8 inch thick.
- Place onions, garlic, salt and Serrano pepper on baking sheet pan and roast in the oven for 30 minutes and then sit in a bowl to cool.
- Add drained tomatillos in the bowl with onions.
- Place in a food processor and add the cilantro. Mix until pureed.
- Place 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a frying pan, once hot add 3 Black Bean Cakes.
- Cook both sides until browned and crispy, then place on a plate.
- Add a Tbsp. of green salsa on top of each Love Cake.
- Add a Tbsp. of sour cream on top of salsa.
- Add a Tbsp. of feta cheese over the cakes.
- Add 8 red onion spears on top.