Garnish & Gather home meals: Easy carnitas and street corn with green bean pico and lime rice. For more on Garnish & Gather click here. For today's recipe see below.
Carnitas and Street Corn with Green Beans Pico and Lime Rice
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 limes per per person
- 2 cups green beans
- 1/4 cup onion
- 2 jalapenos per person
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 4 ears of corn
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 16 oz pulled pork
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
1. Cook rice
- Combine rice, 2 cups water, and ¼ tsp. kosher salt in a med saucepan over med high
- Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to med low, and cook 15 min or until tender
- Remove from heat.
- Zest and juice 1 lime; add to rice. Cover and set aside.
2. Make street corn
- In a sauté pan, heat 2 tsp oil over med
- Add corn (on the cob) & cook for 7-10 min, turning often, until just tender
3. Make pico and street corn spread
- Trim green beans & finely chop
- Remove seeds & mince jalapeño
- Chop cilantro
- Zest & juice 1 lime, keeping separate
- In a bowl, mix together green beans, onion, lime juice, half of jalapeño (HOT!), ½ tsp salt & half of cilantro
- Crumble Cotija cheese & mix most of it (leave about 2 Tbsp for garnish) with mayo, sour cream, remaining jalapeño (HOT!) & remaining cilantro, then set aside for corn
4. Make street corn and crisp pork
- Remove corn from pan & spread all over with cheese mixture, then sprinkle with remaining Cotija cheese & chili powder
- Add 2 Tbsp oil to the pan used for corn & heat over med high
- Add pork, oregano, cumin, coriander & chili powder, then cook, stirring once or twice, 4 min until brown & crisp
- Toss rice with remaining lime zest
5. Plate meal and enjoy!
- Divide rice and pork evenly between plates & top with pico & serve corn on the side.