ATLANTA - Good Day Atlanta pet of the day from PAWS Atlanta. For more information click here.
Atlanta Police Chief George Turner talks about New Year's Eve security plans in Atlanta for big events tonight. For more information click here.
New Year's Day Food : You're probably familiar with eating black eyed peas and collard greens as a part of your traditional New Year's Day feast as a symbol of wealth in the coming year, but what about cornbread or grapes at the stroke of midnight. Many of these "Lucky" New Year's Day food customs are regional, but as far as I'm concerned, combining as many as possible in the pursuit of a prosperous 2016 can't hurt. Can it?
The Colonnade Restaurant in Atlanta's Morningside community has been serving up these traditional southern New Year's Day foods for decades, and they will be packed on January 1st with diners hoping to get their new year off to a great start.
Have you ever had hog jowl? If you've ever had their signature collard greens, then you have. Executive Chef Ryan Cobb describes hog jowl as what bacon aspires to be, and he even shares his secret ingredient that sets his collard greens apart.
For more on the history of The Colonnade Restaurant, the menu, and operating hours, go to their website www.colonnadeatlanta.com.
Happy New Year!!!
Chef Ryan's Collard Greens
4 bunches of Collard Greens, rinsed 3 times, leaves removed from stems, cut in 3/4" inch ribbons
2 Vidalia Onions, julienne
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 quart of chicken stock
2 oz. Balsamic Vinegar
1 smoked hog jowl (can substitute smoked turkey neck)
Salt and Pepper
Splash of Hot Sauce
1. Place all ingredients except for salt, pepper and hot sauce in large non-reactive pot.
2. Cook over Medium heat for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until leaves are tender.
3. Taste for seasoning and add desired salt and pepper.
4. Add a few dashes of Hot Sauce, to your liking.Whether you are superstitious or not, why not start off your new year with a great meal?
Peach Drop 2016 : The 27th Annual Peach Drop begins at 7 p.m. with a variety of live performances, followed by the descent of the 800-lb. Peach and firework display! information right here.
Street Closures during the Peach Drop 2016 Event
· Central Ave/Peachtree Center Ave between MLK Jr. Dr. and Edgewood Ave
· Spring St. between Marietta St. and MLK Jr. Dr.
· Ellis St. between Carnegie Way and Peachtree St.
· Martin Luther King Jr. between Central Ave and Spring St.
Underground Atlanta Hours of Operation on New Year’s Eve
· Underground Atlanta will be closing its doors to the public at 3:00 pm on Thursday, Dec. 31.
· The Underground Atlanta Parking Garages will be closed to the public all day and evening on Thursday, Dec. 31.
The 27th Annual Peach Drop begins at 7 p.m. with a variety of live performances, followed by the descent of the 800-lb. Peach and a spectacular firework display!
Peach Bowl: The 48th Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl will feature the American Athletic Conference Champion and 14th ranked University of Houston Cougars face off against the 9th ranked Florida State Seminoles out of the ACC in the Georgia Dome at Noon today. For more information on the Peach Bowl click here.