ATLANTA - Meals on Wheels Atlanta has provided and other services to hundreds of Atlanta Seniors. Nearly 150-thousand meals are delivered each year. To keep the mission moving, they need help from volunteers and donors.
Snow Mountain: It doesn't matter if it's warm or cold, sunny or cloudy -- the forecast at Stone Mountain Park this time of year always calls for a snowstorm! Snow Mountain is back, bringing tons of snow to the Park and creating a Winter Wonderland for families and thrill-seekers. With a 400-foot hill covered in real snow, visitors can tube down together as a family, or go for it alone. Snow Mountain opened this season on November 21st, and continues through February 28th.
Gabriel's Bakery: Recipes for Classic English Trifle and Baked Brie
Classic English Trifle
- ½ half of a large plain pound OR about 2 lbs. of cak
- 2 pints fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 2 bananas
- 1 small can mandarin oranges, drained
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 (3.5) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or 1 – 16 ounce container of Cool Whip, thawed
- ¼ cup blanched slivered almonds, chopped walnut or pecans
- 12 maraschino cherries
- Assembly: Wash and slice strawberries. Sprinkle them with the sugar.
- Cut bananas into slices and toss with the orange juice.
- Combine the pudding mix with the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Cut the pound cake into 1 inch cubes.
- Using half of the cake line the bottom of a large glass bowl.
- Layer half of the strawberry slices, then half of the blueberries, half of the bananas, half of the orange segments.
- Spread half of the pudding.
- Repeat layers.
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks and spread over top of trifle.
- Garnish with maraschino cherries and slivered almonds, walnut, or pecans.
Best if refrigerated a couple of hours or overnight. Serves 14 - 16
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed, (can be purchased in frozen food section)
- 1 6-7” round of Brie cheese
- 1/4-1/3 cup of raspberry jam (seedless preferably)
- ¼-1/3 cup of slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, or pecans (optional)
- 1 egg
- Box of your favorite snack crackers
- A few fresh raspberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Assembly – Roll out pastry sheet flat on counter top. If dough is sticky, you might lightly flour the counter.
- Remove paper wrapping from cheese, but leave edible rind on cheese.
- Spread raspberry jam on top of cheese.
- Top with nuts if using. Totally optional
- Lay cheese jam side down on pastry sheet.
- Trim the pastry into a circle shape leaving enough pastry to fold over into the center of Brie and enough to meet in center to cover the bottom the entire wheel.
- Break egg into a small and whisk or beat to break up well.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the edges of pastry with a little of the egg wash on the edges and fold edges up and overlap a bit to cover the bottom of the Brie. Press together to seal. The egg wash acts a bit as “glue”.
- Flip cheese over onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- With any leftover pastry, using a cookie cutter, press out a shape to decorate the top side of the Brie.
- Lightly brush one side of the cutout pastry with egg wash and place wet side down in the center of the round.
- Lightly brush top and sides of wheel with the egg wash.
- Bake in preheated over 18-22 minutes until lightly browned.